Post 3:
4/13/17
Was it just last week that I started this once a week blog
thing?
And it was to be for 6 months, because that was the length
of my health coach training?
Well, I quit my health coach training this week. I did not leave
the idea of being a health and/or life coach – that is still on, I just won’t be
learning it from that program.
They lost me when, in a section about how important sleep is
for health, they said you should go to bed before 10 because of Ayurveda. After
a 5-minute explanation of Ayurveda while also saying, some people don’t think
it’s true, but isn’t it *interesting*. No, not interesting to me, and stop
wasting my time.
There is so much actual information about sleep and why it
is important and even when might be good for you to try to go to bed. And this whole
section of the course is supposed to be the ‘essential’ and best ‘20%’ of the
nutrition curriculum they learned in health coach school. They point out that
clients do not want ALL of the information you have, they want a curated set of
information they can act on. If this is how they curate, it’s not for me.
| from last winter's trip to the Oregon coast |
Anyway, now I am a bit adrift as I choose the better path
for building this health coaching career.
If anything, my experience with this program maybe makes me think I don’t so much need a certification as I need a couple of good books on coaching and some time to throw some handouts together.
Which causes me to circle back around to why I was seeking a
certification in the first place. And that was confidence, and also structure.
I have a ton of nutrition, exercise & health knowledge – more than any
coaching client is likely to want. But I don’t, yet, have a thoughtful way of
getting the information to clients, and helping them to make positive changes.
So, I am starting to work on the structure I would like to
use, and gathering information about where to get more skills in coaching and
behavior change and will keep moving on down the line towards the ultimate goal
– which is to help other people achieve health and balance in their lives (and
me too!)

No comments:
Post a Comment