Thursday, June 20, 2013

Lean in, step back: a life balance two step



 
“Lean In” is a part of the zeitgeist now. Sheryl Sandberg coined the term, arguing that part of why women do not achieve parity with men in the corporate setting is because of a hesitation, resistance to that world. I think there is truth there – women’s behavior is a product of our gendered society, and to succeed in a man’s world women need to adopt different behaviors.

It isn’t a complete answer, and it certainly isn’t the answer for all women. We don’t all aspire to CEO. Valid criticism of the argument for leaning in is that she proposes only a change in women’s behavior, not a call to change the corporate environment. I think this is an issue that impacts all of us – men and women.

The counterpoint to women leaning in, is the openness in corporate culture for workers to ‘step back’. All genders. Men especially are expected to ‘leave it all on the field’ – the default is to lean in. But there is more to our lives than corporate success. There should be support for men who choose to pass up a promotion because the cost to their family is not worth the career gains. The daddy track is a long overdue concept.

We all need to have the option – lean in, step back, lean in. To step back when your children are young; when your parents are ailing; when it is just the time in your life for a different balance: it should not be held against us when we are ready to lean in once more. Yes, your ascent up whatever ladder you climb will be slowed by this choice, but should not regress.

Leaning in feels better than ambivalence – whether you lean in to your office job, or your painting ambitions, or your family obligations. I vote for whole person lean in, and sometimes that requires stepping back from things that dominate your energy at the expense of other things you value.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog post time! It’s always something, right? If I’m not in Italy, I’m catching up from all the stuff I didn’t do while I was in...