Friday, May 11, 2012

(not)goddess 101: intro to me

Have you ever met someone at a party and all you have to start a conversation with is... "so, what do you do?" There are a lot of ways this can go wrong. The ones I am thinking of is when they say "I broker contracts for <insert something obscure and mind numbingly boring> to someone or other" 


I swear that is exactly what they say. 


And it strikes me -- how do you wake up one day and that is not just your job, but your career? This is What You Do.  Is it interesting? Is it fun? Does it bear any resemblance to any childhood dreams? I think it is just one of those growing up moments - 


The other answer to the cocktail party question that can go terribly awry is the one that I give: 


I am a full time mom. 


Not only is this a conversation killer, but it is a shock to me sometimes that this is What I Do.  I was a crazy feminist in college (crazy for the Midwest anyway), law school was on the books for a while - lost out in favor of midwifery. When I was a kid, we didn't play house. My sisters, cousins and I played "apartment."-- we were single women with great jobs living in an apartment in the city. At the same time, I always assumed that I would have kids. 3. No idea how I thought it would all come together, and honestly, all in all, I am super lucky (or Super Lucky! if I am wearing a cape)


As it turns out, there are aspects of being a domestic (secular)deity that I am very good at and I enjoy. Cooking, baking, sewing, a little bit of gardening, making beautiful things. These will feature prominently in the entries to follow. 


There are huge stretches of the gig that I am good at, but find to be mind numbingly boring. I will complain from time to time about these. (Seriously, from whence does all of this laundry come?)


Inevitably I will brag and complain in turn about these wonderful small people I live with, as they are who brought me to this unexpected occupation. And because they're super cool. 


And, it turns out, having been to college, and traveled, and trained to be a midwife (practiced for a bit, then needed to stop for kid stuff), I have thoughts and opinions on other things, so that might come up too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog post time! It’s always something, right? If I’m not in Italy, I’m catching up from all the stuff I didn’t do while I was in...